Home Events Calendar Race Reports Photos Forum Links Contact Us
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Open Water Swim in the Hamptons
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Open Water Swim in the Hamptons
Open Water Swim in the Hamptons 5 Years, 5 Months ago  
Im going out to the Hamptons (not sure exactly where), later next week and I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a place to do a little open water swimming. Thanks.
pequa tri
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
"res severa verum gaudia"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Open Water Swim in the Hamptons 5 Years, 5 Months ago  
Depends on where you&#039;re at &amp; what type of OWS you want to do.&nbsp; <br /><br />If you&#039;re going to do Ocean swimming, then any beach in the Hamptons is a good beach!&nbsp; Definitely wear a wetsuit, as ocean temps right now are only in the mid-50s.&nbsp; It&#039;ll be brisk (SERIOUSLY brisk!), but you should be able to swim for a good 20 to 30 mins without a problem.&nbsp; <br /><br />If you&#039;re going to swim in Peconic Bay, the water temps will be somewhat warmer (but still brisk), but you&#039;ve got to be VERRRYYY careful about boats if you&#039;re not in a &quot;protected&quot; swim area.&nbsp; If you can get someone to kayak along side you, that&#039;s a great idea.&nbsp; <br /><br />If you&#039;re going to be swimming alone, just make sure you&#039;ve got someone on the shore who knows what you&#039;re doing, and ALWAYS stay within 500 meters range of the shoreline when temps are this cold.&nbsp; If you&#039;re swimming &amp; you start to get confused, that means you&#039;re going hypothermic.&nbsp; Get onshore.<br /><br />Hope this helps!<br /><br />Take care,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br />
tribritre
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Not satisfied with any of the world's religions, Brian decided to go it alone... Welcome to the Church of Triathlology!

Re: Open Water Swim in the Hamptons 5 Years, 5 Months ago  
Thanks Brian, my friend&#039;s house is right on the peconic bay in the cold spring pond area. I am going mid week, will probably swim thursday, so I am just going to map about a few hundred meters along the shore and just swim back and forth. And yes, I have a wetsuit, I went in the ocean the other day at the beach (for a second with friends) without one, and I regretted it. <br /><br />-Toby
pequa tri
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
&quot;res severa verum gaudia&quot;

Re: Open Water Swim in the Hamptons 4 Years, 8 Months ago  
Shinnecock Bayside!
SBRshop.com
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1