Home Events Calendar Race Reports Photos Forum Links Contact Us
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Mini Mighty Man in East Meadow
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Mini Mighty Man in East Meadow
Mini Mighty Man in East Meadow 4 Years, 6 Months ago  
After taking a few years off I decided to get back into triathlon and signed up for this one, but now I am beginning to think I made a mistake.<br /><br />The pool seemed like a good idea, but I am starting to wonder how they put you in order, and how you can pass.&nbsp; If people inflate swim times like they do running finishing times, the swim could quickly become a mess.&nbsp; Plus, it says you have to change lanes each length, so no flip-turns.<br /><br />The bike is three 2 mile loops which, in that park, is going to mean lots of tight turns and traffic.&nbsp; That seems like a setup for lots of spills.<br /><br />So has anyone done this, and is it going to be as frustrating as I suspect?&nbsp; Should I have just waited for the Great South Bay, which I am signed up for anyway?&nbsp; Or is this better than it sounds?
mmccain
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Mini Mighty Man in East Meadow 4 Years, 5 Months ago  
I did this race a few years ago and it wasn&#039;t that bad.&nbsp; Self seed for the swim which was pretty fair as I only passed three or four people.&nbsp; Everyone pretty much stayed to the right in the swim lane which allowed for enough space to comfortably make passes.&nbsp; The bike was a bit tricky.&nbsp; Passing people and the turns were tough.&nbsp; The problem was that there were a lot of beginners who tended to ride in the middle of the road and were slow to move.&nbsp; However, that is to be expected at this type of race and I just went with the flow and did not get hung up on being slowed down a bit.&nbsp; I think you will enjoy this race as there is a lot of enthusiasm and a good vibe.&nbsp; Just expect to get out of it what it is, an early season tune up.&nbsp; Good Luck.
sevenride
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Roar Lion Roar

So what does &quot;self seed&quot; mean.&nbsp; I assume that everyone is lined up then you get in the pool every 10 seconds and take off, but how is the seeding working?&nbsp; Is it like the old military game where you have sort yourself by height, or are you asked at check in and line up by number, or something else?<br /><br />Another question:&nbsp; Where is T-1 located?&nbsp; The reason I am asking is if it is 50 degrees and windy that day how far do you run from the pool house before you can get to your towel?&nbsp; I survived BUDS so I can survive this, but thats not to say I want to relive old time&nbsp;
mmccain
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

They tell you to line up by your 400 meter swim time-i.e. 5 min, 6min, 7min etc.&nbsp; Again, I was actually surprised at how orderly and honest people were.&nbsp; Most people did not want to deal with being swam over so they erred on the side of slow.&nbsp; When you&#039;re done with the swim you are close to an open door which leads outside.&nbsp; You have about a 50-100 yard run to T1.&nbsp; If it&#039;s cold your feet are going to feel it for sure.&nbsp; Like I said the only sketchy thing was the bike.&nbsp; If you are a fast rider you will have some trouble passing.&nbsp; Overall, it&#039;s a nice little tune up race but really slanted toward the first timer.&nbsp; Two years ago, I decided to do the Bronx Biathlon instead as April my tune up.&nbsp; Good luck.
sevenride
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Roar Lion Roar

You were right.&nbsp; Thanks.&nbsp; I lined up between the 8 and 10 minute marks and ended up passing about a dozen people, but the lanes were so wide that it was pretty easy to get by.&nbsp; I was surprised at the number of swimmers that were hanging onto the lane markers by the 300 meter mark.<br /><br />The bike section was actually pretty clean.&nbsp; I averaged 25.5 mph and my only problem was the 180&#039;s at each end.<br /><br />The run is what disappointed me.&nbsp; We had to climb a pretty steep and muddy hill right out of T2.&nbsp; Lots of people were either walking or crawling up that hill.<br /><br />Anyway, good warm up race, and the Nassau Aquatic Center is unbelievable.&nbsp; I had seen the outside many times but never gone inside.&nbsp; What a piece of work.<br /><br />Now on to GSB.
mmccain
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Good Job
sevenride
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Roar Lion Roar

Go to topPage: 1