Home Events Calendar Race Reports Photos Forum Links Contact Us
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

HARRYMAN HALF-A LONG HILLY DAY
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: HARRYMAN HALF-A LONG HILLY DAY
HARRYMAN HALF-A LONG HILLY DAY 4 Years, 7 Months ago  
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; It was a long day of racing especially since I was coming off the AmZof Long course less than six days before, by the end I was really shot.&nbsp; 6 hours 33 minutes of racing to be exact.&nbsp; The course was longer than a true HIM.&nbsp; Swim turned out to be close to 1.5 miles, the bike was 63 hilly miles of fun and the run was a benign 13.1.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Lake Welch was flat and looked very inviting.&nbsp; I was told that it was 56 degrees but when I got in for a pre-swim it felt very comfortable.&nbsp; I felt I had a very good swim.&nbsp; Got into a real good rhythm felt strong, never tired and had clean water most of the race.&nbsp; The only hiccup was when I was passing a guy who was doing the backstroke, he knocked my goggles off my face.&nbsp; Otherwise it was uneventful.&nbsp; Got out and saw 44 minutes on the clock and I could not believe it.&nbsp; In transition, someone said that the course was closer to 1.5, so I felt a bit better.&nbsp; Had a good transition.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; Got on the bike and felt real good.&nbsp; First mile is flat and then a big down.&nbsp; Legs felt fresh and I was cranking.&nbsp; At the bottom of the descent there is a very sharp U-Turn so I got on my brakes and tried to get into the small chain ring for the upcoming 1.5 mile steep climb.&nbsp; I had trouble getting the chain onto the small chain ring and when it finally moved it jumped all the way into the frame.&nbsp; I hopped off and put the chain back on and tried to peddle.&nbsp; On each peddle stroke the chain was grinding against something.&nbsp; Got off the bike and I could not find where the damn thing was rubbing.&nbsp; I was pissed watching the time and people go by.&nbsp; I thought maybe it was the bottom bracket.&nbsp; I took the chain off and put it back on.&nbsp; Tried to adjust the front derailleur.&nbsp; Still had the grinding sound.&nbsp; After about five minutes I made the decision to ride it as long as the cranks turned and the wheels rolled.&nbsp; The only problem was that on each peddle stroke there was an annoying grinding sound.&nbsp; By the way, I spilled all my accelerade out while trying to fix the damn thing.&nbsp; (After the race when I really had a chance to look at it, it turns out that the back of the front derailleur somehow shifter and was rubbing the top of the chain.)&nbsp; Off I went on a 63 mile ride with a grinding chain.&nbsp; Annoying to me and I think everyone racing around me.&nbsp; Sorry guys/gals.&nbsp; Other than the mechanical I had a good noisy ride.&nbsp; Course was very hilly but I am growing accustomed to sustained climbing.&nbsp; I off the bike in 3:45.&nbsp; I blew some valuable time out there but what is a good race without adversity.&nbsp; Good transition.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; The run was a two loop out and back course with some rollers and a lot of shade.&nbsp; Very fair run.&nbsp; My legs were fried getting off the bike.&nbsp; Maybe AmZof was catching up?&nbsp; Figured it was a good training race so I would go as hard as I could for as long as I could.&nbsp; I had no leg issues but the last 4 miles lasted forever.&nbsp; I finished the run in 1:57.&nbsp; I was a bit disappointed but more hay in the barn for Placid&nbsp; I was happy with the race.&nbsp; I think if I was fresh I could have challenged for my AG.<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; I fueled till the cows came home.&nbsp; I ate gus every 30 minutes and took 8 salt stick tabs over the course of the race.&nbsp; I took in around 100 oz of water/accelerade.&nbsp; I think nutrition was good.&nbsp; I finished 44th overall.&nbsp; The only thing I will say is that there were no real beginners out on that course so I raced against good athletes overall.&nbsp; Met the owner of Toga Bike shop in NYC and a few of his friends before the race.&nbsp; He had the new DI2 electronic Shimano shifters on his Shiv.&nbsp; Beautiful bike.&nbsp; He rode the hell out of it, he went by me on one of the climbs like I was standing still.&nbsp; Great stuff.
sevenride
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Roar Lion Roar
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: HARRYMAN HALF-A LONG HILLY DAY 4 Years, 6 Months ago  
Dude - I think you need to man up and find a marathon to run this weekend!<br /><br />Seriously, I think you&#039;re freeking nuts! What a back to back weekend! Placid is seriously going to be a cakewalk for you! We hope to be up there spectating and cheering you on. <br /><br />Sorry to hear about the pesky mechanical. There are fewer sounds on earth worse than a noisy bike - especially when it&#039;s yours! <br /><br />Enjoy the rest of your training - taper time is coming - stay strong!!!<br />K
Spunkie
Platinum Boarder
graph
&quot;It&#39;s never crowded along the extra mile.&quot;

Re: HARRYMAN HALF-A LONG HILLY DAY 4 Years, 6 Months ago  
Thanks-Spunkie.&nbsp; I&#039;ve been enjoying a lot of cold ones this week and just unwinding.&nbsp; Believe me, Placid is looming and I am not taking it lightly.&nbsp; Still need to put some serious hours in the saddle and on the road.&nbsp; I hope I put myself in the best place I can be coming up on this race.&nbsp; Hope to see you back racing tris, where you belong:)
sevenride
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Roar Lion Roar

Go to topPage: 1